Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Journal 3: A New Beginning



     “The Faceless: Autotheism”, by Dean Brown provides an intriguing review of the Faceless’ new album, Autotheism. The author begins by reflecting on how the band has reunited after a 4 year period following their previous album; and how this will affect their future content. He then goes on to reveal that the album has changed from their previous works, going from “the hyper-technical death metal” to a genre more familiar with Between the Buried and Me. Brown comments on how previous fans may be put off by the first song, Autotheist Movement I: Create, which has a more typical rock sound to it. He goes on to state that the songs progressively change and at one point sound very similar to their old sound. Brown believes that the end of the album makes it sound as if The Faceless are about to find their niche. As an avid fan of The Faceless, I am excited that they have gotten back together, and although I have not heard their new album, this article has gotten me excited to check it out. I truly enjoyed their previous work and I could not compare them to any other band. This article makes it seem as if they have begun to entwine many band specific sounds in an attempt to find a new sound. I am also a fan of Between the Buried and Me, and I am curious as to how these two bands could mix their sound. In any case, I am excited to find out exactly what The Faceless’ new sound could be.

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of The Faceless before, but you seem to know what youre talking about when it comes to this particular band. It is hard to be apart for a couple of years and come back together and still perform like they would have 4 years ago. I think it will be very interesting for you to find out if they still sound the same as they did or if they sound aged or out of place. You will have to let me know what you think after you listen to their new album and compare it to the one from 4 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have never heard of the band The Faceless before, and don't really listen to death metal either. But I am a lover of music and respect any single persons views on given genres. It shouldn't matter what other people think about your views as long as you're happy with them. New albums are always exciting and even more so when they are a band that you enjoy tremendously.

    ReplyDelete